Wednesday, January 28, 2009

This is only course 1, this is only course 1

Well I had good intentions.... .I actually baked the cake and got the crumb layer on, on Sunday evening. This was quite a feat considering our Sunday... but that's another story! Back to the cake, this time I was daring and did a chocolate cake. Dark cakes likes chocolate as you can imagine are harder to frost because you can see the crumbs so much easier. However the class has been helpful and my crumb layer was pretty impressive. I have been receiving requests from Levi and his coworkers and I gave in and added banana pudding ( yucky:}) I don't like it but I don't need to eat it, so those were the flavors. I even got the decorating frosting ready on Tuesday afternoon, I was proud of myself I was actually prepared well before class time.
And then.....

Emma had been acting funny all day, she was saying her eyes were " all better" which is the coined response I get when I want to change her diaper or investigate her nose or in this case her eyes. However, her eyes have looked bloodshot for a few days now and they weren't getting better with rest. I was concerned that it was pink eye developing and so I called and talked with a nurse. I explained and she wanted to see her since it was her eyes, of course I didn't have a car and had to wait until Levi got home at 4:40. The walk-in clinic at our pediatrician's office is open from 5:30-7 pm and my class starts at 6:30 in the other direction. So we were tight on time. Levi ended up taking Emma early in hopes of being there right when the clinic hours changed and I stayed to prep for my class and make dinner. They were the first to be seen however it all just takes time. They left the office at 6:00 and took them 15 minutes to get home, I was trying to be all ready to walk out the door but Charlotte had other plans. Okay sorry that was the scenic route, long story short I was late for class and was very rushed. I had also washed all my tips and spatulas and conveniently left both spatulas at home. That was a problem, I am an artist and I need my tools :) I was late and a little frantic and didn't have everything I needed so this class was a little bit of a disappointment. My cake wasn't as nice, the teacher tried to help me finish and she didn't realize the one of the frosting bags had a hole, and so tiny squirts of green frosting ended up all over the cake. I was a little discombobulated and at one point one of my classmates' daughter told me that I had frosting all over my arm! Sorry no pictures of that, I forgot. But it was a fun class and despite this last cake I satisfactorily completed the course! I have quite a bit to practice but I am excited to learn lots more.

As fun as this class is, its hard for me to be away from my cute little family. I think that they have more fun without me! I hear these stories when I come home of the girls playing nicely together and being cuddly and cute. My favorite story is one about Emma, she'll kiss Levi and Charlotte goodnight and then turn to where I am "supposed to be", kiss the air and say "I kiss Mommy!"

You've been good sports I know that this has been a long ol' post but here are a few funny pictures for you! They really do adore each other, Emma now reads and cuddles with Charlotte. And Charlotte just watches Emma the whole day long, I'm sure just counting down the days, as I am, til she can crawl and then run to follow her. This last picture I don't know what happened but it was too funny not to post !
I am headed to Utah and will miss the first class of the next course, but I might practice when I get back before the second class so be sure to tune in for another cake late next week!

2 comments:

Sara G said...

What a great talent to develop, your cakes look fabulous! I'd love to take a class like that someday. Your girls are darling, it's so great that they have each other. How cute that Emma gives mommy pretend kisses. I am so excited for the girls to start talking, so I can document all the silly things they say.

Ryan and Alexis Bessey said...

I'm so glad you are doing this cake decorating thing!!! What a fun hobby! You can make me a cake any day! You are such an artist. I've tried working with those frosting tools, and I'll tell you, that's a skill! I miss you already babe!