Thursday, January 1, 2009

Our Christmas Adventure

As many of you know we have established a Christmas rotation to visit our parents. Since special events led us to the Woodward's the last 2 years Nana was very anxious for us to come home. We originally planned to head home the weekend before Christmas, but a blizzard sized storm and Charlotte having the stomach flu postponed our flight until the morning of Christmas eve (the picture to the right says it all). We drove to the airport in another snow storm but was able to take off on time. The two flights (to Chicago and then Portland) were interesting. Emma was wonderful despite not wanting to watch a movie, and Charlotte challenged our preparation skills by throwing up three times on us. We were prepared with clothes for her, but forgot to bring clothes for us in the carry on.

Christmas was wonderful. Thank you so much Haupt Family for the hospitality. Our family spoiled Emma with plenty of gifts, but after the first few she was done opening presents and just wanted to play. A special treat Santa brought me was a bag of cookie mix. This has become a holiday tradition to make Christmas cookies. ( here are pictures of both girls with the traditional bag of cookies, you will notice there are the same pair of pajamas as well, we love traditions) We actually made it to church as a family for the first time in a while since everyone was on the mend. We hope that we can make it to the first meeting block of the new year. The girls wore matching dresses (thanks Aunt Karen) and beautiful dress coats (thanks Nana)
The rest of the week was spent visiting high school friends and family and playing Settlers of Catan. We also got some great pictures taken of Charlotte, thanks Bro. Walker. It was nice to have a break from work and to have things slow down a little at the busy Haupt house. The girls dress pictures and Charlotte's pictures are for another post.

The trip home was tolerable. We almost partied it up for New Year's at the Van home in Mesa, AZ when there was a weather advisory because yet another storm was hitting the Albany area. However we chanced it and after a quick stint in the Baltimore airport we made it back to New York. Our hero "daddy" braved the -10 degree wind chill to go dig out our car from Long term parking. I am not quite sure what was more eventful; standing in 6 inches of fresh snow and 20 mph winds after 30 minutes of digging the car out and needing a jump and waiting another 30 minutes. Or trying to wrangle two very tired girls in an airport,two dirty diapers, hungry infant and an escapee two year old.... We call it a wash! We made it home in one piece and the only residual effect is a very spoiled 3 month old who doesn't want to be put down. It was well worth it and we hope that the holidays were as good for all of you.

5 comments:

The Taylors said...

And I thought vacations were supposed to be relaxing! I guess that's not the case once you have kids!

Tiffany Johnson said...

ugh... we only had to drive 6 hours and I thought I was going to shoot myself! :-) toddlers and infants and cars don't mix well. Actually, traveling in general with small children does not mix well!!! I feel for ya!

Ryan and Alexis Bessey said...

Oh you guys are getting lazy... I've been waiting many a week for a new post and pictures.... and what do i get!? A repeat of the family newsletter.. what a disappointment. You're fired. I even had to steal your adorable photos from mom and dad. Those are AMAZING photos, they are all so cute I can't decide which one I want as my computer wallpaper... Your girls are adorable! MORE POSTS AND PICTURES PLEASE!!! Everyone would agree with me.

Torrie and the girls said...

easy there Lu-Lu when was the last time you posted to the fam newswire.....huh...?! As you can see we've had a crazy time and are still not quite recovered, patience grasshopper they will come....

Unknown said...

Wow, what a trip. I hope that everyone is feeling better. I'm glad you had a great Christmas.