Here in New York the "season" is in full force. This week is a perfect example.
Does anybody know the number and meeting times of Cocoaholics Anonymous? Now that the winter weather is here (it was welcomed by a day where the high was 20F, but for most of the day is was 9F) we have 2 cocoaholics who shall remain nameless (Emma and Torrie) who may need an intervention soon, especially since one is still in denial. With me leaving for work super early at 6am these two burn through 2 cups of "deyisciousness" before the sun rises. I think I am immune since I don't have to say no to this face all day. Lets face it, I can't even say no more than two times in a row, so I guess we are lucky the "Cocoa Latte" is not running 24/7.
The "Ickey" Store Adventure
With the power back on and our cocoa hangovers in full force we did what any true New Yorker would avoid, we took a road trip to New York City on a Christmas season weekend. This was an adventure and a half. It took us until 1pm to make the 3hr trip to Manhattan only to discover the parking garages around the Manhattan Temple were full since Juilliard, which is across the street, was having a performance. After searching for another hour we met up with our good friend from BYU Hawaii, Donald.
We took a picture outside the temple and headed to meet up with the Leavitts (at least the younger versions) who had flown in for the day at the Disney store, or in Emma's words the "Ickey" store (mickey without the m). The multiple subway rides were interesting enough, Emma actually got a kick out of riding the trains. We spent over 2 hrs in the Disney store. Emma's favorite part other than picking out her Christmas gift, which hopefully Santa will bring back Christmas Eve, was
seeing Minnie and Santa "Gooky". We had planned to also visit the Rockafeller Christmas tree and Santa at the Macy's store on 34th street, but the crowds and weather dictated otherwise. Case in point we tried unsuccessfully for a half hour to hail a cab to try to get around faster. We ended up riding the subway back to our car, thanks to our hero Donald. Thanks man, without you we would have been lost for hours. We finally made it back to our warm home.
It started out on Thursday with some snow flurries and sleet. Not that big of a deal until you combine 18F temperature and you get this... (Don't ask why the new car is not in the garage,that's a story for another day).
We woke up Friday morning, which was my day off, thankfully, to a power outage. The power had come off and on through the night,
but went out for several hours during the day. Since we only had a few more hours of battery time left on the smartest investment of our lives (Emma's portable DVD player) I decided I would attempt to make it to the store to get some supplies (no mom and Tammy I was not going to go get just junk food, I would have bought some soda too).
After a half hour of scrapping the 1" thick ice off the car I was able to open the driver's door to find out the battery was dead. Another hour went by before I could dig out our other car to jump the van. Needless to say shortly after I was done the power was back on and the car is now in the garage.
It hasn't been such a smooth story for many in our ward. For 3 days now some of our good friends have had heat, but no power and others have none at all. We have been housing the Neitschmanns whose power was back on but is now off again. Hopefully everything will be back tomorrow, if not, we are gonna need some more cookies and hot cocoa.
Our Cocoa Junkie(s)
The "Ickey" Store Adventure
Although the season tried to throw us a curve ball, we are very grateful for the chance to make once in a life time memories with our little girls.
P.S. We don't know if we should continue to blog, we put in the time and pictures and get no comments, ::sniff, sniff:: Does anyone hear a tiny violin? :)



12 comments:
It seems you have overcome your own addictions only to pass them on to your offspring. I don't think you were ever as addicted to cocoa as I was... It sounds like Winter in the Northeast is an adventure though. Emma's face is precious though. I would have a hard time saying no to her too. I am jealous of your trip to New York, it sounds like it is a magical place.
You goof!! I live for these blogs! Its my favorite thing to do, reading these. You'd better keep these up mister!!! We'll join you once we receive our source of entertainment in Jan...Love you guys!
Burrr.....I hear the Ice Storm is still haunting the people in upstate NY. Hope you stocked up on the hot cocoa! The kids were glad to see you, and should have gone in and gotten their pictures with Minnie and Goofy.
Don't stop blogging, I read it all the time, but never get around to posting comments-sorry! We still haven't gotten any snow around here, Justin is totally jealous :o)
I'm with Ryan and Alexis - I love reading your blog :)
I am so not jealous of the snow you guys have. Sorry about the ice and power outages. YUCK! Don't stop blogging... it's the only way we keep up with you guys, Aside from the occasional phone call from Mike.
Wow--sure wish I was you getting to enjoy Yew Nork City! Oh, and what cheese would you like with your whine? We miss you! :-)
Your new little baby is adorable! Nice new minivan too!
What a fun adventure! Kindof crazy you can just drive to New York City for the day!
I love seeing pics of your little girlies. So cute!
I want more blogs... you guys are slacking...
Nice wheels! For Christmas I got a minivan too. 04' Toyota Sienna and after having a brief "I'm drivin' a flippin minivan and therefore I'm old and what have I done with my life but change bums and be sick" moment, I'm really enjoying the space. You too?
Post a Comment