Sunday, May 11, 2008

Auschwitz

Today was a somber day. We went to the branch in Krakow for Church which had a dozen members (we tripled the size of Sacrament meeting). Afterwards we traveled to Auschwitz, the German concentration and extermination camp in Poland. I am still trying to find the words to describe my visit. It had been challenging for me to relate to horror of a place that I had only seen in pictures. To actually be here was unfathomable.



A view of what is left of the housing block of Auschitz II- Birkeneau.

The "Killing Wall" inside Block 11



Auschwitz I, the initial camp

The Soviet POW Block

The infomous gate, and rail track of Auschwitz II- Birkeneau
I am very grateful to have been able to visit this amazing site. I think it has helped me understand my role in society and how I may be able to help prevent such a horrible thing from ever happening again. Most of all it has made me charish my little family and how good I acutally have it because of the sacrifice of others.

2 comments:

Joshua Baron said...

Levi -

We miss the "How-pt"s desperately, but I'm glad I finally took a look at your blog. I can't believe how consistent you are about blogging.


I hope the rest of your trip goes well and say hello to everyone in the RG3.

Torrie and the girls said...

I can't believe the feelings that I get even from the pictures of this place. its enough to bring most people to their knees.