Saturday, May 10, 2008

Hungary and Slovakia

Wow, we have done alot in the last few days. Just a warning this may be a long blog. So in the last post I said I had seen some of the coolest things I had seen in person in engineering. Well that didn't last long.


This is a picture of me outside the research nuclear reactor at the Budapest University. To me this looks as foriegn as everything I have seen in NY. It was really cool to be able to go see a nuclear reactor. We were told by the director of the facility that in comparison this reactor is a "toy", and being so we could go up on top.
On top of the reactorA look inside.


I still can't come up with the words to describe looking down into a nuclear reactor.
I kept checking the radiation exposure counter in my lab coat pocket, thankfully no exposure was registered, but my heart rate was elevated.
After the nuclear reactor we went to see the city. I was pleasently surprised at how beatiful Budapest was.The ride to Slovakia was amazing. It is an amazing view. We arrived really late, and walked around the town square of Banska, which happened to be hosting a concert for the celebration of entering the European Union.

In the morning we spent some time seeing the town during the day. I didn't realize it, but we passed by some monuments of WWII. It was rather impressive, and suprising I missed it at night. We are now in Poland, but have only been here a night. Tomorrow is a big day and I thought I would wait to until we have seen a little of the country before I blog about it (we have only been here for a few hours). Besides, you need something to come back and read right?

1 comment:

Torrie and the girls said...

I am personally grateful that you didn't fall into the reactor..... Its also good to know that you can check to see the level of exposure, I have a feeling you're gonna have to get used to those white coats....