So lately Emma has become OBSESSED with dressing herself. I knew it was going to happen sometime. She has actually gotten really good very quickly. She makes sure that the jeans button is in front and she has even figured out how to get the tag in the back of her shirt. I must say we're pretty proud of her. And since we hardly go anywhere because of the weather I really don't mind spending my day watching outfit after outfit being tried on ( I hope trying clothes on is always this easy for my girls) The only rule we have is that she has to wear a shirt not just a white onesie. (We're working on the whole putting clothes away that have met the floor.) However, she will come up with any excuse to be just in her white onesie. Its freezing outside and I would like to NOT pay more than an ARM and a LEG for our heat (stupid drafty windows!) so we try and dress warm and wear slippers. So needless to say it makes me a little nuts when I find her lagging in between wardrobe changes. She'll make up any excuse, if I'm changing Charlotte and she happens to be in a onesie on the changing table, off comes Emma's shirt so she can "be like Charlotte.." Or if I'm feeding Charlotte and she knows I can't force a shirt over her head she'll take her precious time then too. Usually it only takes an "Emma, get your shirt back on please.." to speed up the process. Yesterday was a different story...
I was feeding a starving, just woken-from-a-nap Charlotte and Emma comes in with a shirt in hand.
Mom: "Emma, put on a shirt please.."
Emma:"Look at me, mom, a hat!" As she lays it on top of her head, grinning at me.
Mom: "Emma...."
Emma:"Look at my face mom," As she pulls her head almost through and is framing her face with the collar.
Mom: "EMMA, put it on now!"
Emma: "Mom, look at me I gooky! ( goofy)" As she slides one arm through but doesn't move the collar, so her arm is in the air and she is stretching the shirt out.
Mom: "THAT DOES IT!"
Now usually I would have more patience but I had just spent three hours listening to her NOT take a nap and both girls aren't feeling well so I was a little irritated at the missed nap and I knew the night to come would be a long and cranky one.
I got out of the chair, put Charlotte down, and ran to my room. I grabbed our roll of Red Duct Tape and came back.
I didn't give her one last chance, I yanked the shirt over her head, pulled her arms through the arm holes, then just pulled and pulled until she had a snug "belt" of tape that made it impossible for her to change her shirt. I thought it a better alternative to throwing her outside on the balcony until I had finished feeding Charlotte.
But you would have thought that I had just severed a limb! She was so IRATE with me! She sat there and screamed and cried while I laughed and finished feeding Charlotte.
Emma: " MOM, I S-GUCK!" (stuck)
Mom (laughing): yes Emma, I know...if you're going to cry go to your room."
Emma: MOM HELP ME!"
Mom: " I will Emma, when you've calmed down and I've finished feeding Charlotte.

"
Emma (sniffling): are you done yet?
Mom (still laughing) : "No Emma, not yet."
We had this conversation for about 20 minutes until I had finished feeding Charlotte. Then we talked about why she was s-guck, and I cut the tape off....
Mom: 1 Emma : 0 for now....
This picture is at the end of the power struggle as I was getting ready to cut off the tape, that was the only way it was allowed to be taken, and the reason she looks so calm.
7 comments:
LOL!!! I'm so sorry that sometimes these power struggles are so irritating... but it's also REALLY funny and I'm so glad you are a sweet and understanding person to see the humor in the struggle... for instance, your laughing and creativity in getting Emma to put her shirt on. I love you!
That's great! I love it!
Hilarious!!!!!
That is so funny! Makayla does the same thing, only it's not in a onesie that she wants to be, it is in her pull-ups or underwear. It drives me crazy! I can totally relate to that situation. Sometimes I feel like Makayla is not even listening to what I am saying. It is their age, and it will pass...then we will miss it. I am glad that you blogged it so that you will always remember it.
p.s. your cakes look so cute! I bet that is fun getting a little "you" time and doing something fun and creative. :)
Ryan thinks you are genius for coming up with the tape idea.... he gives you big kuddos. He wouldn't stop laughing when i told him the story.
Hey I think the Cornstalkers are totally worth being on your favorite blog list Torrie! Punk!
This gave me the idea to duct tape Daniel's fingers so he would stop chewing his nails. If I really do it, I'll post pictures.
Post a Comment