Sunday, August 17, 2008

Obsessed

Well the STP has come and gone. In the weeks prior to the race, I always hoped but wasn't quite sure if Levi would be able to put in the time and effort to be able to finish it. We had a good time seeing his family and being there as the boys and their dad got ready for the debut of Haupt Cycling. Levi was quickly swept up in the momentum of his dad and brothers as they all spent time prior to the race fine tuning and cleaning each bicycle. The race went well and I was super proud of his efforts. However I didn't know it would turn him into a seriously obsessed cyclist!

Case in point: When we went house hunting in upstate New York he was trying to find the best cycle route from home to work. The most direct route is filled with exhausting rolling hills which made him wonder if he had taken the right job, just because of the 30 minute commute! I mean please what's worse, hills or a California commute of 3 hours daily. Why I oughta....



The obsession continued and increased as we came home. He has done some renovations on his bicycle since the race such as a fresh paint job and a new computer that he found for really cheap. He loves to tinker with it and its a good stress reliever so I am being supportive. He has a few friends that he has been able to ride with which has been good, obviously the exercise for anyone is a plus and its good to see him do something for himself. Now his birthday and Christmas wish lists include a selection of bike gadgets. I really could handle all of this, the early morning rides where we are both up at 5 am, washing his bike shorts and 3 bike socks, (for some reason I can only find three at a time, he had two full pairs at one time)


I thought his momentum would die down with our return to real life and his thesis, boy, was I wrong. He struck out on his own this past weekend and rode the Snowbird ( ski- resort) Hill Climb without any of his cycling buddies.



I've gotta hand it to him though, he has done a pretty good job at picking an obsession, I guess things could be worse. I also think its kinda funny that he has morphed into his dad, I had always thought he looked like his mom's side, I guess its the cycling.


The one thing about all this that I can't handle is the fact that he has turned my sweet little Emma into a performance food junkie. All that I can get this kid to eat is Clif bars, and she loves to drink his Vitamin water or Powerade. The Powerade is just wrong since that's what I tried to stay hydrated with when pregnant with her and threw it up so many times that its now on the "Cannot Consume" ListAll I have to say is, "Watch out Levi, your time will come..." I am dead set on finding an obsession in New York that will land him at home with two kids, especially since it will be winter and a little chilly to go cycling...... ::cackling evilly::

2 comments:

Leavitt's said...

Love this. Can i get a copy of the picture of everyone in the biking shirts? This is a great picture of everyone together. I think we all need a healthy obsession! Love ya!

Ryan and Alexis Bessey said...

LOL!! So I'm glad you finally told me that i can comment on the blogs. I love the face that Emma is making. Tor, you NEED to put the clip of Emma singing up on the blog next.
Love ya!
Alexis